Volume 60, Issue 2 (14 2002)                   Tehran Univ Med J 2002, 60(2): 139-145 | Back to browse issues page

XML Persian Abstract Print

Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Mahmoodzadeh Sagheb HR, Dezfoulian A, Noori SMH, Heidari Z, Chitnis P. Stereological analysis of renal glomeruli following chronic lead intoxication in rat during a continuos period of 8 weeks. Tehran Univ Med J. 2002; 60 (2) :139-145
URL: http://tumj.tums.ac.ir/article-1-1268-en.html
Abstract:   (4886 Views)

Background: Stereologic methods are used to obtain quantitative information about three dimensional structures from histologic sections. The aim of present study was using new and unbiased stereological techniques to investigated changes in volume and number of glomeruli after chronic lead acetate intoxication. Lead is one of the heavy metals that have adverse effects on renal function. Its effects can involve both renal tubules as well as glomeruli. So many studies based on observation and qualitative reports. Some of which report changes in volume and number of glomeruli.

Materials and Methods: Male Wistar rats were randomly divided to four groups (n=9). During a period of 8 weeks, the treatment groups were given 0.5 percent and 1 percent lead acetate in drinking water and the control and sham control were given distilled water and 0.4 percent acetic acid solution respectively. Stereological analysis based on Cavalierie's principle was performed to determine the reference volume (VRefrence), the fraction volume of glomeruli (VVGlom) and total glomerular volume (VTGlom). Furthermore, for estimating the numerical density (NVGlom) and total number of glomeruli (NTGlom), the physical dissector was utilized.

Results: Results showed that the number of glomeruli in treatment group which received 1 percent lead acetate in drinking water decreased significantly (P<0.05), but no changes occurred in 0.5 percent group (P>0.05). On the other hand glomerular total volume in both 0.5 percent and 1 percent groups increased significantly in comparison to control and sham control groups (P=0.000).

Conclusion: This experiment is in agreement with other qualitative reports by using unbiased method of stereological methods and showed changes in volume and number of glomeruli following lead acetate intoxication.

Full-Text [PDF 1306 kb]   (1672 Downloads)    

Add your comments about this article : Your username or Email:

© 2020 All Rights Reserved | Tehran University Medical Journal TUMS Publications

Designed & Developed by : Yektaweb